All Things Electronic


Be aware that the voltage is different from the U.S. in most places in the world.  Example: U.S. 110v, Europe 220v.  Many countries have completely different plugs and different frequencies as well.  Research the voltage, plug, and frequency of your host country before you leave.

It is often cheaper to buy adapters, converters, and transformers online in the U.S. than to buy them in your destination country.  Plan to purchase a hairdryer and other similar products in your host country, or be sure to find products that have the appropriate voltage before you leave.  Keep in mind that adapters do not convert electricity.  They only change the plug to fit the foreign wall outlet.  A converter or transformer is needed in order to convert the electricity.


If you decide to take your laptop abroad, you should know that wireless Internet is not as prevalent and accessible in all parts of the world, and your computer may not be as useful as you think.  That being said, if you take your laptop abroad, make sure you have the right hardware.  Most laptops have built-in transformers that will take care of the voltage difference, but some do not!  Consult the manufacturer of your laptop before you leave to see if you need a transformer.  In addition to the transformer, most computers will need a basic adapter to change the plug.  If you have an Apple, you may want to try the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit.  However, any adapter will do.

Lock it up.  If you are going to be using a computer in your dorm, university, or in a neighborhood café, consider purchasing a laptop lock cable.  This is an inexpensive way to protect your computer from theft.


Most programs will suggest a provider to students that will both rent a phone and provide services to you.  Prices vary depending on the country and services provided.  Some students may have a cell phone capable of working overseas and may wish to buy or rent a SIM card from an overseas provider instead of renting the complete phone.   If you are studying abroad for a very short period, you should ask your U.S. provider the cost of calls while roaming in another country.  If your program does not provide any cell phone service, you may want to look into a provider designed for students studying abroad.

While Mississippi State University does not promote any specific company, some companies that rent cell phones and/or provide service are listed below:

To make calls home to the United States from your host country, we recommend you look into free online methods like Skype, iChat, MSN Messenger, etc.  With these services, you are able to video chat with your parents and friends free of charge. 


To call home from a cell phone or landline, you must know how to dial internationally.  The standard code is listed below; however, this code varies in some countries.  You should consult  for international country codes and exit codes and to learn how to dial out.

00 + 1 + 662 + 325-2648
standard international code + area code + 7-digit phone number